List of Documents for Marriage or Civil Partnership

Documents needed for Marriage or Civil Partnership:

When attending to give notice of marriage or civil partnership you will need to provide evidence of your identity.

The registrar will need to see evidence of your name, age, marital status, residency and nationality.

In all cases, a superintendent registrar must request documentary evidence of nationality of the person giving notice. This evidence is necessary to determine whether a person is subject to immigration control.

For British citizens the evidence of nationality that must be produced will be either a full British passport or a birth certificate.

Prior to 1983 a person born in the UK obtained British citizenship automatically.

However, for persons born after 1st January 1983 in the UK, an individual's nationality is dependent upon the nationality of its parents.

Where a person who was born in the UK on or after that date is unable to produce a full British passport or a naturalisation/registration certificate from the Home Office, evidence of the nationality of one of the parents (either birth certificate or passport) will be needed.

If the parents were married at the time of the birth, a child can take nationality from either parent. If unmarried, nationality is taken from the mother.

You will also be asked to produce a document confirming your name and current address for example a household bill, bank statement, driving licence, pay slip, benefit book.

If you have been married before you will need to produce documents to confirm that you are now free to remarry.

If you are divorced, you will be required to produce the final divorce document. If you were divorced by a court in England and Wales you must produce a decree absolute showing the court's original seal (this is usually a rubber stamp in red or purple ink).

If your divorce was granted in a foreign country you must produce the final divorce document. You may be asked to produce an English translation of the document.

If your husband or wife died you will need to produce a certified copy of the death certificate.

If you have changed your name by deed poll, change of name deed or statutory declaration, this document must also be produced.

If you are under 18 years you will require written consent before you marry - please contact the Barnsley Register Office for advice.